Just in time to celebrate Cinco de Mayo we launch our first fragrance inspired cocktail. A spicy recipe of peppercorn and rose based on the nuances of our Gypsy Cowboy.
Fragrance and flavor are inextricably connected. Your tastebuds perceive flavors in part due to aromas. In fact, many of the same molecules that contribute to both scent and flavor are perceived by a single set of olfactory receptors.
So let's feast our senses on a mix of rye, rose-tinged simple syrup, fresh lemon juice, and bitters.
Yield: makes 1 cocktail
For the Spiced Rose Simple Syrup
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons pink peppercorns
- 2 drops rose extract
For the Cocktail
- 1 1⁄2 oz. rye whiskey
- 3⁄4 oz. rose simple syrup
- 1⁄2 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 2 dashes Old Fashioned bitters
1. Make the simple syrup: In a small saucepan, combine the cane sugar, water, and pink peppercorns. Bring to a slow boil over medium-high heat and then lower the heat to a slow simmer, until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, steep for 20 minutes, discard solids, and let cool completely.
2. In a cocktail shaker, combine the whiskey, syrup, lemon juice, and bitters with ice. Shake vigorously, and strain into a chilled rocks glass. Garnish with rose petals.